Looking for a light and flavourful pasta dish that you can make with a myriad of summer vegetables? Want a bright pasta dish that is nightshade free? Then you’ll want to try our ultimate summertime gluten-free lemon and zucchini pasta recipe.
We used zucchini, this time to make our ultimate summertime gluten-free lemon and zucchini pasta recipe, but it would work equally well with asparagus. You would boil the asparagus whole, until just fork tender. Cool the asparagus slightly, slice them (on the diagonal for presentation) and add it to the sauce, at the same point you would add in the zucchini.
Also, this pasta recipe can be made dairy-free by using your favourite butter alternative.
Our ultimate summertime gluten-free lemon and zucchini pasta recipe pairs well as a BBQ side dish. The pasta would also be a superb accompaniment to either grilled shrimp or chicken breast.
The Ultimate Summertime Gluten-Free Lemon and Zucchini Pasta Recipe
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter or dairy-free alternative (room temperature)
- The rind of 2 Lemons (avoid the white pith)
- Segment 2 Lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons (roughly 1/2 cup)
PRO TIP: If you start by removing the rind from the lemons, using a rasp, then cut the lemons into segments over a bowl, to preserve all the juice.
- 2 tbsp minced capers
- 2 tbsp finely minced parsley (additional for garnish, optional)
- Lemon slices (optional for garnish)
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- vegetable oil- or any neutral oil for frying
PRO TIP: You can also cut the zucchini into half-moon pieces, to better mix with short pasta.
- 340gr gluten-free Penne Pasta
- Place a large pot of well-salted water on to boil.
PRO TIP: Check out our tips for cooking gluten-free pasta.
For the Zucchini:
- Wash and dry the zucchini.
- With a vegetable peeler remove any cuts or blemishes. You don’t want to remove all the peel, so just remove the “problem areas.”
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini and discard.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4-inch slices.
- In a large fry pan, pour in 3 tbs of oil
Pro Tip: You can add more oil if you need it, but you don't want to use excess oil.
- Fry zucchini in batches. You don’t want to overcrowd the pan – keep them in a single layer.
- They should cook until they are light golden brown in colour on both sides.
- Remove golden brown zucchini from the pan and put them into a heatproof bowl.
- Lightly salt the hot zucchini.
- After each batch, add them to the bowl and lightly salt each layer.
- Once all the zucchini is done, start the sauce, in the same pan.
For the Sauce:
- Add the chicken stock to the pan, over medium heat, and reduce by a third.
- To the stock, add the lemon juice and segmented lemons.
- Reduce the heat, and add in your butter, stir well.
- Once the sauce looks thick and glossy, add in the minced capers and chopped parsley.
- Add the sauteed zucchini to the pan
- Taste and add salt and extra lemon, to taste
- Lower heat until pasta is finished cooking.
- Using a heatproof container remove 1-2 cups of pasta water from the pot and set aside.
- Drain pasta.
- Add the pasta to the sauce.
- Toss to coat well.
You can also garnish the pasta with extra lemon slices and a sprinkle of minced flat-leaf parsley.
An arugula salad with a lemon vinaigrette, and a crisp glass of Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, (nonalcoholic works as well) would complete this delicious summer meal.