Being able to use up leftovers is essential to lowering your food costs, and cutting back on food waste. Transforming these leftovers into something crave-able can be a challenge, so that is why we are sharing the best gluten-free leftover chicken nachos recipe.
You might wonder do I need a recipe for nachos? Shockingly, the answer is yes. I love nachos and have tried many methods to get the leftover chicken to not get stringy or too wet, or when the chips aren’t crisp enough. This recipe will wow, everyone.
You can make this gluten-free leftover chicken nachos recipe, as a snack, appetizer, or dinner. I love to serve it with a salad and use it for dinner- it is faster than tacos.
With this recipe, you can use any roasted chicken. I used leftover gluten-free chicken from a store-bought rotisserie chicken. Be sure to check the ingredients list on any rotisserie chickens you buy, to ensure they are gluten-free. You could use any leftover chicken that you have.
This gluten-free leftover chicken nachos recipe can be made with your favourite gluten-free tortilla chips. I have used three different brands, and they all worked well. Simply choose your favourite- I do recommend a thinner style chip, but that is just personal preference. To find great gluten-free tortilla chip options, click our ultimate list.
If you want to make your gluten-free kitchen more sustainable check out these tips- click here.
Other great gluten-free dishes that make use of leftovers include:
- GLUTEN FREE LEFTOVER SAUSAGE AND RICE BAKE RECIPE: This recipe uses just a few links of leftover sausage to create an incredible and simple dish.
- THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE CREAMY PASTA RECIPE MADE WITH LEFTOVERS: This recipe is easily adaptable as you can use leftover ham, chicken, turkey, or even a plant-based protein. You don’t even have to use much meat to make this a hearty dish that anyone would enjoy.
- THE BEST LEFTOVER MEATLOAF GLUTEN-FREE PASTA BAKE RECIPE: This recipe utilizes leftover meatloaf, but it would also work well with leftover meatballs or store bought frozen meatballs, that are cut up. Pasta dishes are always a great way to use up leftovers.
- THE ULTIMATE GLUTEN FREE TURKEY À LA KING RECIPE: Any time you have a lot of chicken or turkey leftover (after a holiday) this is the perfect dish to make. You could also use leftover rotisserie chicken. No one would ever think that this delicious recipe was made using leftovers.
The Best Gluten-Free Leftover Chicken Nachos Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil– you can use any neutral cooking oil you like
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 cup gluten-free chicken stock
- 1/4 cup gluten-free taco seasoning– I used Old El Paso low-sodium gluten-free taco seasoning
- 1/2 a chicken- chopped into pieces- I used one leg and one breast
Pro Tip: You can shred your chicken if you like.
- 100g of shredded cheddar cheese -this does not have to be measured you just want enough to cover your chips well
Pro Tip: It is better to shred the cheese on a fine shred, as it will melt faster.
- 1 medium onion minced.
- Remove the skin and debone your chicken.
- Chop or shred your chicken and set aside.
- Shred your cheese and set aside.
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a frying pan, heat oil.
- Lower heat to medium and add the tomato paste to the oil.
- Cook the tomato paste for 3-5 minutes stirring frequently.
- The tomato paste should change colour from a bright red to a darker red.
Pro Tip: Stir well so the tomato paste does not burn.
- Add the gluten-free chicken stock to the pan with the tomato paste and stir well.
- To the pan- mix in your gluten-free taco seasoning and allow to thicken.
- Add the chicken to the pan.
- Toss to coat and warm the chicken.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking – if necessary.
- Cover the pan with a lid and remove from the heat.
- Cover a medium size rimmed baking sheet either with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Cover the pan with an even layer of gluten-free tortilla chips
Pro Tip: You can use as large a pan as you like, and use as many chips as you like.
- Heat the chips in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
Pro Tip: Peak in on the chips to make sure they are not picking up too much colour or burning. This step is to heat the chips and crisp them up.
- Using a spatula carefully turn the chips over and heat for three more minutes in the oven.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle a little less than half of the cheese over the chips
- Place the pan in the oven for two minutes or until mostly melted.
- Next, sprinkle your onion, or whatever other toppings you want on all the chips
Pro Tip: I put most of the toppings like olives, jalapenos, tomatoes etc… on the side so everyone can take their nachos their way. Also, a lot of toppings contain water, which can make the nachos soggy.
- Using a fork, evenly distribute the chicken over top of the chips.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over top, to form an even layer of cheese.
- Heat in the oven for two more minutes.
- Place under broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, keeping an eye on it, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
I like to treat the nachos like a taco bar having gluten-free salsa, guacamole, sour cream, olives, jalapenos, tomatoes etc… available. This allows everyone to personalize their gluten-free leftover chicken nachos recipe. Also, these toppings can make your nachos soggy, so putting them on afterwards is a great choice.
Know that our gluten-free leftover chicken nachos recipe reheats well in the air fryer. If you have leftover nachos, 2-5 minutes at 350° in the air fryer will crisp them up. Make sure you are keeping an eye on them.
Have you tried our gluten-free leftover chicken nachos recipe?
What is your favourite way to use up leftovers?
Leave a comment below to let us know.