As the weather warms, some of us may be switching to lighter fare to prepare for our summer wardrobe. Salads in the spring and (more so) in the summer are the perfect lunch or light dinners. Especially when they are those types of salads that pack all the nutrients you need in one big delicious bowl like today’s vegan protein-packed gluten-free quinoa and parsley salad with added chickpeas.
This salad is a hybrid of a Tabbouleh, but we’ve added a whole lot more veggies and added protein from both the quinoa and the chickpeas. The light lemony dressing brings everything together perfectly. You don’t need to serve anything with this salad – it’s a meal in a bowl. I love this one.
Vegan Protein Packed Gluten-Free Quinoa and Parsley Salad with Added Chick Peas
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked and chilled
- 2 bunches chopped parsley stems removed
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno chopped (remove the seeds if you want is less hot and keep them in if you want it spicier)
- ¼ cup neutral oil (olive, grape seed, canola, etc)
- Juice from 2 small lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basically, you are going to put all the salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl in any order that makes sense to you. I’ll outline the order I did here.
- Place 2 cups of cooked, cooled quinoa in a large mixing bowl.
- Add your chopped parsley (you can save a few sprigs for garnish if you want).
- Stir to combine. Add chopped cucumber.
- Next, add diced tomatoes and white onion.
- Then add grated carrots and chick peas.
- Stir to combine.
- Add chopped green onions (you can keep some aside for garnish if you prefer).
- Finally, add chopped fresh jalapeno.
- In a mixing cup, add oil, lemon, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix to form dressing and pour over salad ingredients in large mixing bowl. You can withhold 2-3 tablespoons of dressing if you want use any to top off salad.
- Garnish with parsley and green onions if you kept them aside.
If you don’t have all the vegetables, substitute them with the ones you have. Feel free to add red pepper, and celery for example.
The beauty of this salad is that it’s so easy to make and only requires one bowl to both mix and serve. Be sure to make the quinoa the day before so it’s good to go. This salad will leave you completely feeling satisfied but also revitalized. There is none of the post-meal sluggishness with this one. It’s also excellent for a BBQ as it represents a protein option for vegan guests.
Do you eat more salads in the summer? What are some of your favourite dinner salads? We are always on the look-out for new big salad ideas so please share 😊
Salad: Dressing: If you don’t have all the vegetables, substitute with the ones you have. Feel free to add red pepper, and celery for example.
If you don’t have all the vegetables, substitute with the ones you have. Feel free to add red pepper, and celery for example.