The classic Italian pasta dish cacio e pepe (which translates to cheese and pepper), combines two of my favourites: pasta and cheese. This recipe for the best gluten-free cacio e pepe is so simple to make, but is absolute perfection. The key is to use the best ingredients you can. There is nowhere to hide with simple recipes like this.
I tried this with a different brand of pasta (than the one listed below), but some gluten-free pastas can’t hold up to reheating or excessive tossing. They are just too brittle so you need a good quality gluten-free pasta, as cacio e pepe requires that you to mix it thoroughly. The only gluten-free pasta that didn’t fall apart, for me, is Rummo. I tried the recipe with both their gluten-free linguine and gluten-free Rummo Rummo Mezzi Rigatoni N ° 51 pasta.
The Best Gluten-Free Cacio e Pepe Recipe
- 800 g gluten-free Rummo linguini N°13 or other long pasta (that’s two packages)
- Reserve 4 cups of pasta water
- 1c salted butter
- 2 tbs black pepper
- 1 3/4c Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to a boil
- Add in pasta and cook to al dente. For Rummo the package instructions bring you to a great pasta texture.
- Using a heatproof container scoop out 4 cups of pasta water and set aside.
- In a separate pan melt butter.
- Add in pepper and let steep.
- Strain pasta and add back to empty pasta pot.
- Mix butter and pepper into pasta.
- Add in water as need 1/2 C at a time.
- Once the pasta looks like it is coated in the liquid, add in the cheese and stir well.
- You may need to add in extra pasta water if your pasta looks too tight/dry.
- Keep 1C of pasta water back as you may need to mix it in as it sits on the table.
- Taste the pasta before you serve it to ensure you are happy with the balance. Add in more butter, cheese or pepper as you see fit- but the recipe gives you a great balance.
- Serve with extra cheese and pepper on the table
I was feeding four adults and found I needed to make two packages of pasta. This recipe is so good that people tend to eat more than usual. Also, keep in mind that unlike other recipes like our leftover meatloaf gluten-free pasta bake recipe or simple creamy gluten-free leftover pasta recipe this isn’t bulked up by meat and vegetables. Serve with a lightly dressed balsamic vinaigrette salad.
You are going to fall in love with this best gluten-free cacio e pepe recipe. It’s super-simple and so delicious it will surely make its way to your dinner table regularly.