No matter the time of year, quick pasta dishes are always a sure-fire bet for dinner. Easy, fast, filling, and full of vegetables, this is a dish everyone will love. So try our quick dairy-free and gluten-free spinach and broccoli pasta recipe.
A non-tomato-based pasta dish does not always have to include dairy. This quick dairy-free and gluten-free spinach and broccoli pasta recipe is something you can easily throw together for a delicious vegan dish.
Quick Dairy-Free And Gluten-Free Spinach and Broccoli Pasta Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 large shallot diced
- 12 oz broccoli florets
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach, washed, dried, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian chicken bouillon base or vegetable bouillon base
- 400g gluten-free pasta – I used Rummo gluten-free FUSILLI Nº 48
- 1 teaspoon each of granulated garlic, black pepper, and granulated onion
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Once water is boiling, add the broccoli to the pot and cook until fork tender- you can fit a metal strainer into the pot to steam the broccoli or you can use a slotted spoon to remove the broccoli from the pot. You do not want to strain the water out, as you can boil your pasta in it as well.
- Dice shallot.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbs of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add in the shallot and saute.
- Add 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon base to the shallot and stir.
Tip: If you want to make this spicy you can add 1 tsp (or more depending on the level of heat you like) of hot pepper flakes to the pan with the shallot, so the hot pepper flakes bloom.
- Add 1 cup of boiling water from the broccoli pot to the pan and stir to begin to make a sauce.
- To the pan, add in your washed, dried, and chopped baby spinach and cover with a lid.
- Check on the broccoli to see if it is fork-tender. Once it is fork-tender, remove the broccoli from the pot and add it to the pan with the spinach.
- Add the pasta to the now empty, pot of boiling salted water. Cook the pasta according to the package instructions- for tips for cooking the best gluten-free pasta click here.
- Season the broccoli and spinach with granulated garlic, black pepper, and granulated onion- stir well to combine.
Tip: If it looks like there isn’t much broth, add half a cup of water from the pasta pot.
- Taste the sauce, it might be a little strong, but it will mellow out when you incorporate the pasta. Add additional chicken stock or season to your desired flavour.
- Once you are happy with the flavour of the sauce, reduce the heat to low, and keep a lid on it while you cook your pasta.
- When the pasta is cooked, using a heatproof measuring cup, carefully remove 4 cups of pasta water and set it aside.
- You can either drain your pasta into a colander or remove it from the pot with a slotted spoon or spider.
- Add pasta directly into the pan, stir well, and add enough pasta water to make a loose sauce.
Tip: Keep the extra pasta water in case the pasta tightens up during your meal, or add extra to leftovers, so they reheat well.
- Toss pasta and sauce together well and then serve.
- You can top the pasta with parmesan cheese, or your favourite cheese substitute, like nutritional yeast- although it doesn’t need it.