Pasta is a quick go-to meal, any time. Seeing as I’m nightshade-free, I try to find fast pasta recipes that don’t rely on tomatoes or tomato sauce like today’s recipe for gluten-free pasta in a light cream sauce with broccoli and mushroom.
Being able to have a filling meat-free meal quickly, is always a plus. Cream sauces like this one can normally be overly heavy; however, we’ve made this pasta light enough to enjoy without any guilt.
You’ll notice I recommend Robin Hood Gluten-Free Flour for this sauce, read our gluten-free flour round-up to find out why this is the perfect flour for this recipe.
Gluten-Free Pasta in a Light Cream Sauce with Broccoli And Mushrooms
- Two heads of broccoli cut in small bite-size pieces (approximately 6 cups when chopped)
- 8oz white mushrooms – sliced (though you can use any mushrooms you may have- if using Portobello remove the gills before cooking)
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 tbs oil – I like an olive and canola blend, but any neutral oil will do
- 1/2 tbs butter (you can use oil if you prefer)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/8 c of Robin Hood All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/4c plus 1 tbs butter
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 400g Rummo gluten-free mezzi rigatoni (or your preferred GF pasta)
- 1/4 tsp granulated onion and black pepper
- Put a large pot of salted water, to boil.
- Chop broccoli, then wash- set aside.
- In a separate smaller pot bring 1 inch of salted water to a boil.
- When the smaller pot boils add broccoli to steam. You want to cook the broccoli to just fork tender.
- When broccoli is done, drain and set aside.
- Chop shallot.
- Wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth, remove stems, slice- set aside.
- Rinse and dry the now empty broccoli pot.
- In the clean pot, heat oil.
- Add chopped shallot to the pot.
- Cook shallot halfway through.
- Add 1/2 tbsp butter to the pot.
- Now, add the mushrooms to the shallots.
- Stir often, until mushrooms are nearly browned.
- When mushrooms are nearly done, season with a small pinch of salt and pepper.
- Remove the mushroom and shallot mixture from the pot and set aside.
- Put the now-empty pot back on the heat, with 1/4c butter and 1/8c gf flour. Over medium heat whisk the butter and flour together, so there are no lumps and as well as cooking out all of the flour taste from the roux.
- Slowly pour the milk into the roux 1/2 c at a time, while whisking.
- Once the sauce has thickened, mix in both the mushrooms and broccoli.
- Leave the sauce over low heat, while you boil the pasta.
- Add granulated onion and black pepper to the sauce.
- Taste and season to your liking.
- When the pasta is finished cooking remove 1c of pasta water from the pot, carefully using a heat-proof measuring cup.
- Drain pasta.
- Add pasta back to the pasta pot.
- Pour the cream sauce over the pasta, with the burner on low and mix well.
- If the pasta sauce seems too tight add 1/4c of pasta water to loosen it.
- Put pasta in a bowl and serve with grated Parmesan cheese and dried chilli pepper (if desired.)
Another plus is that this gluten-free pasta in a light cream sauce with broccoli and mushroom recipe is vegetarian and you can change up the vegetables with whatever you have on hand, or is in season. This pasta recipe will quickly become a regular go-to for a healthy fast weeknight meal.