I love a Philly Cheese steak, but also enjoy a meal that can be made meatless. That is why today, I am sharing with you, the best gluten free mushroom Philly style sandwich recipe. This recipe is easy, delicious, and filling, and you can make it either dairy-free or vegan, as well.
For the Gluten Free Mushroom Philly Style Sandwich recipe, I used Promise Gluten Free Brioche Hamburger buns; but you can use any gluten free bread, or bun you like. This recipe would work well using any gluten free hot dog bun, hamburger bun, or sliced bread. I would recommend toasting any bun/bread that you use. This will not only add flavour, but it will hold up to the sandwich much better.
Gluten Free Mushroom Philly Style Sandwich Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil- you can use any neutral cooking oil you like
- 1/2 tbs butter or non-dairy butter alternative
- 2 lbs mushrooms sliced- you can use button mushrooms, portabello mushrooms or a 50/50 mix-as I did
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 300g cheddar cheese, shredded*
- 100g Havarti cheese, shredded (could be Swiss, provolone, mozzarella, or any cheese you like)
- 6-8 hamburger-sized buns – you may need to adjust the number depending on the bun
- 2 tablespoons of gluten free Worcestershire sauce– I used French’s gluten free Worcestershire sauce, but Wizard’s vegan gluten-free Worcestershire sauce is a great alternative
- 1 tsp each of salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp each of granulated garlic or granulated onion
*In place of these cheeses you can use your favourite non-dairy cheese
- Clean mushrooms by wiping them down with a damp cloth to remove any dirt from the outside.
- For the Portobello remove the gills on the underside of the mushrooms, using a spoon. Discard the gills.
Tip: If mushroom stems seem hard and wooden, discard them.
- Slice the mushrooms in an even thickness, 1/4 inch thick, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and butter (or butter alternative)
- Add in onions, and let them soften slightly.
- To the onions, add in the garlic and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the onions and garlic.
- Allow the mushrooms to cook down.
- Cook the mushrooms uncovered so that any liquid that comes out of the mushrooms can dissipate.
- When the mushrooms are halfway cooked, season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and granulated onion.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce, and stir well.
Tip: The Worcestershire sauce adds complexity to the dish, and gives the mushrooms a hearty or meaty taste.
- Taste the mushroom mixture and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Grate cheeses and mix them. You can use any cheese or non-dairy cheese you like. I used a mix of Cheddar and Havarti cheeses.
- While the mushrooms cook, butter your bread/buns and place them under the broiler until they are light golden brown.
- Divide the cheese evenly among the toasted buns, placing it on one side of the bun.
- Place under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- Once the cheese has melted, spoon the mushroom mixture on the other half of the bun.
- Assemble the sandwiches and serve.
I served the gluten free mushroom Philly-style sandwich recipe with a side salad. However, it would pair very well with gluten-free french fries.
This is a recipe that can be whipped up quickly on a weeknight. Plus, it is healthy, economical, satisfying, and delicious.