Looking for a spectacular yet easy-to-execute dish that you can use for lunch, brunch, or dinner? That is why we’re sharing our recipe for the best gluten-free Monte Cristo sandwich recipe.
A traditional Monte Cristo is a three-layer ham (and turkey) sandwich dipped in an egg batter, and then it is either deep or pan-fried. While this looks and sounds delicious, we all know that gluten-free bread has its limits. I couldn’t see gluten-free bread holding up well to this cooking method. So, I got to experimenting and found a great and easy way to make a gluten-free twist on this classic.
The best gluten-free Monte Cristo sandwich recipe would be perfect to serve for brunch because you could cut the sandwiches into fours with toothpicks holding them together. Think how Instagram-worthy they would look on a brunch buffet. This recipe would really wow on Mother’s Day.
The best gluten-free Monte Cristo sandwich recipe will yield one sandwich; however, you can multiply it easily to make more sandwiches.
The Best Gluten-Free Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 slices of gluten-free ham – I use prosciutto Cotto
- 2 slices of gluten-free turkey breast – I use oven-roasted sliced turkey
Pro Tip: You can use leftover ham or carved turkey in this sandwich if you don't want to use deli meats.
- 2 slices of Havarti cheese
- 3 pieces of smaller size gluten-free bread-I use Promise gluten-free brioche bread.
- 1 tbsp butter or dairy-free alternative
- Preheat oven to 250° F to keep pieces as warm as you work.
- In a shallow pie plate or bowl, mix eggs, milk, and salt together.
Pro Tip: I find it best to use a rectangular or square baking dish so I can fit all my bread in at once in an even layer.
- Beat the egg mixture well with a fork or whisk. You want the egg and milk fully combined.
- Place your 3 pieces of bread into the pan.
Pro Tip: If your gluten-free bread is frozen it is best to take it out earlier and defrost it. However, if you are in a pinch frozen does work; but know it will take a little longer to cook.
- After the bread has been in the mixture for two or three minutes flip it over and allow the other side to soak up the egg mixture.
- Melt butter in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- Using a spatula, place one piece of bread in the hot pan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes a side or until golden on each side and fully set in the middle.
- Place the finished French Toast on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in the oven to keep warm.
- Add more butter to the pan if needed.
- Using a spatula place the next two slices of French Toast in the pan at the same time.
- Once they have cooked 2-3 minutes flip them and lower the heat to medium-low.
- On the golden side of the bread place 2 pieces of ham on one piece of bread and 2 pieces of turkey on the other piece.
- Top each slice of bread with a piece of cheese.
- Place a lid on top of the pan to help warm the meat and melt the cheese.
- After 2 minutes, gently lift one corner of your bead to see if the underside of the French Toast is golden and cooked.
- Cook until the underside is golden and the cheese is melted.
- Pro Tip: If you are making a lot of sandwiches, you can make all the French Toast first. Then place the meat and cheese on the slices of French Toast and place them in the oven to heat/melt.
- Now it is time to stack, place the piece of French toast with the ham on your plate or cutting board.
- Top the piece with turkey ( turkey side up).
- Next, place the piece from the oven on top.
- You can serve it dusted with powdered sugar and a side of maple syrup.